Jesse White Awards Construction Grants to 17 Illinois Public Libraries
Secretary of State and State Librarian Jesse White has awarded FY2013 Live and Learn Construction Grants totaling $620,800 to 17 public libraries to help pay for essential capital improvements.
“I am pleased to award these grants through the Illinois State Library to help maintain the infrastructure of our public libraries, and help them remain the best information resource available to citizens,” said White. “This important program helps public libraries pay for projects such as remodeling for handicapped accessibility, and in some cases new construction or building additions.”
Libraries receiving grants are:
· Lena Community District Library — $37,430 for interior and exterior improvements to address accessibility, including remodeling of entrances, sidewalk and curb replacements, a new circulation desk, water fountain and improved signage.
· Poplar Creek Public Library District, Hanover Park Branch — $50,000 to renovate and expand the library for improved accessibility.
· Lawrence Public Library District — $37,500 to install an elevator lift to provide access to the lower level of the library for persons with disabilities.
· Chicago Heights Public Library — $50,000 for an entrance ramp, accessible parking spaces, and signage and power-assist door openers, as well as installing a new glass enclosure.
· Witt Township Memorial Library — $4,036 for a new circulation desk, a new book return and restroom modifications for improved accessibility.
· Graves-Hume Public Library in Mendota — $34,997 for new carpeting and interior painting.
· Norris City Memorial Public Library District — $16,990 for power-assist entrance doors, energy-efficient window treatments, new furniture and interior painting of the children’s area.
· Paw Paw Public Library District — $35,000 to replace the ceiling, lights, wall paneling, carpet and furniture and upgrade electrical wiring.
· Sterling Public Library — $25,000 to replace obsolete lighting fixtures with new energy-efficient fixtures.
· Metropolis Public Library — $35,000 for new carpeting and flooring.
· Roodhouse Public Library — $26,705 to shore up floor joists, exterior tuck-pointing, window and ceiling replacement and a new roof.
· Hillsboro Public Library — $28,055 to replace the existing roof and repair entrance stairs.
· Toluca Public Library District — $24,024 to replace carpeting, electrical repair, entryway lighting, window replacement, a new circulation desk and new furniture.
· Carlinville Public Library — $14,165 to replace lighting, relocate thermostats and provide new seating.
· Itasca Community Library — $50,000 for roof replacement, the addition of flashings walkway pads and extra insulation.
· Carbondale Public Library — $78,461 to replace canopies, repair the skylight and replace carpeting.
· Pecatonica Public Library District — $73,279 to renovate a portion of the building for additional new public meeting space.
The Live and Learn Construction Grant Program is in addition to a new Public Library Construction Act Grant Program also administered by White and the State Library.